Lionel Andrés Messi is regarded as one of the greatest footballers of all time, and it is no surprise that he is the highest-paid person in the game. He is the second highest-paid athlete in the world after boxer Floyd Mayweather.
Lionel Messi is also the most respected footballer. The 31-year-old Argentinean footballer who plays for his national team and Spain’s FC Barcelona, he is also the captain of both the teams. His reported enormous net worth is about $400 million. According to Forbes report, Messi pulls in more than $80 million in salary and bonuses before taxes and another $27 million through endorsement deals.
A Brief Biography Of Lionel Messi.
Lionel Andrés Messi was born on 24 June 1987 in Rosario, Argentina’ third largest city to a working-class family. His father was a steel factory worker, his mom a cleaner.
No one doubted his football skills and abilities but his size, he was too small and diagnosed with growth hormone deficiency at the age of 11, which required expensive medical treatment. Neither his family nor his boyhood local club Newell’s Old Boys can afford for his treatment but fortunately, Spain’s FC Barcelona agent, Carles Rexach was impressed by his skills, he was offered his first contract written on a napkin which included paying for his treatment as well.
At the age of 13, Messi relocated to Spain to join FC Barcelona. He joined in the club’s youth academy but after a fast progression through youth academy, Lionel Messi made his competitive debut at the age of 17 in October 2004 to become the youngest player in the squad at that time.
In the 2008-09 season at the age of 22, Messi won his first Ballon d’Or and FIFA World Player of the Year award with a record voting margins by helping Barcelona achieved the first treble in Spanish football history.
Messi has won many individual awards and team trophies with his club and country, one can only count his awards after he finishes his football career but the most remarkable record set by him in the year 2012 is his goal scoring record. He scored 91 goals in total beating the previous record of 85 by Gerd Muller of Germany and, Pele’s milestone of 75 goals in 1958.
“My record stood for 40 years but now the best player in the world has broken it, and I’m delighted for him. He is an incredible player, gigantic.” – Gerd Muller
Messi Major Honours.
- Spanish La Liga title – 09
- UEFA Champions League – 04
- UEFA Super Cup – 03
- Club World Cup – 03
- Copa del Rey – 05
- Spanish Super Cup – 07
- Olympic Gold Medal – 2008
- FIFA U-20 World Cup – 2005
- World Cup Runners-up – 2014
Messi’s Relationship With His Grandparents – His Goal Dedication
During his childhood, Messi was very closed to his grandparents. His grandparents played an important role in shaping his illustrious football career by encouraging him to play football at his tender age. His grandmother Celia Oliveira Cuccittini used to take him to football ground in their locality and support him, encourage him by shouting and calling his name from a side of the ground.
According to Messi, his grandmother who passed away in 1998, took him to football and he can never forget what she has done for him in shaping his career and her love and care for him which is why he dedicates his goals to her by pointing his point-fingers to the skies every time he scores a goal.
Messi’s Sponsorship Deals.
Messi has endorsement deals with some of the most branded companies in the world:
1. Adidas: Adidas first sponsoring Messi was in 2006. The brand took this relationship a step further and signed a lifetime contract, which means as long as his football career is alive, Messi will be the brand ambassador of Adidas.
2. Ooredo: Lionel Messi is also the brand ambassador of Qatar based international telecommunications’ company.
3. Huawei: Messi was signed for the global brand ambassador of Huawei in March 2016.
4. Lays: Messi has made various campaigns on television, print and digital for the brand.
5. Pepsi: Pepsi was also among st the first brands that tied-up with the footballer.
6. Hawkers: Messi has a deal with Spanish sunglasses brand Hawker in 2017.
7. MasterCard: Lionel Messi along with his former teammate Neymar Jr. has an endorsement deal to fight child hunger early in 2018.
8. Mengniu Group: Chinese dairy products and ice-cream brand Mengniu Group roped in Messi as its main face of promotion in 2018.
9. Expo 2020 Dubai UAE: Lionel Messi became the Global Ambassador of Expo 2020 Dubai UAE in 2016.
10. Gatorade: It is endorsed by living legends of sports like Lionel Messi among others
11. Sirin Labs: Israeli startup Sirin Labs also roped in Lionel Messi as its brand ambassador in the end of 2017.
In the past few years, Messi has also advertised TATA Motors of Indian company, Kanomi, Nike, Dolce & Gabbana, Audemars, Piguet, Gillette and Turkish Airlines. It is from all these endorsement deals, Lionel Messi pulls in around $27 million every year.
Lionel Messi Football Tools.
Lionel Messi has been the brand of Adidas and Adidas has been the brand of Lionel Messi in recent years. Football being the most watched game and having the game best player Lionel Messi as their ambassador on the field, it has been a win-win for both the parties in terms of advertisement and marketing.
By signing Messi as the ambassador of its brand, it has taken to another level of business partnership. Football being the most popular game and Messi being the center of everyone’s attention in the game, it has been the showcase for the brand at the world stage every time he step on the football pitch. For all these, it is no surprise that the brand give lifetime contract to Lionel Messi.
Adidas has also been making the finest products not only his football gears but most of the household utilities particularly for their icon man to represent them on and off the pitch in different looks, sizes and colors.
Below are some of our best reviews of Messi-Adidas football gears from Amazon service. Just click on the image of your choice to check it out: